I love authentic, good molcajete. The combination of ingredients and the presentation make this a beautiful meal for any occasion, while maintaining a healthy standard and lifestyle. You are not breaking any new years resolutions with this one! I PROMISE! Buen Provecho!
Original recipe makes 6 servings
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced carne asada (beef steak)
- 1/2 pound boneless chicken breast
- 5 large, shelled shrimp
- 4 1/2 ounces chorizo (Mexican sausage)
- 2 nopales (cactus leaves) or zucchini and yellow squash
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1/4 bunch cilantro
- 2 green onions
- 1 large tomato
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lime, quartered
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 pound queso fresco (Mexican cheese)
- 1 (16 ounce) jar HERDEZ® Salsa Verde
- 1 (8 ounce) package small tortillas
- Stone molcajete (mortar and pestle)
- Using oven mitts, heat the molcajete over the grill or stove.*
- Grill carne asada for five minutes.
- Add and grill chicken, nopales on one side for five minutes, turn over. Also, add jalapenos turning every two minutes to soften.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over meats. Add and grill chorizo and shrimp. Add green onions and rotate to cook on all sides, about two minutes.
- While meat cooks, slice the tomatoes, avocado and cheese into 1/2 inch wedges.
- Using oven mitts, pour half of the salsa into the heated molcajete.
- Remove the meats and slice in long, thin strips.
- Place the beef, chicken, shrimp, nopales, and cheese around the inside edge of the bowl. Add the chorizo to the center of the bowl. Add the tomatoes, green onions, avocados and jalapenos around the chorizo. Pour remaining salsa over ingredients.
- Place the cilantro over the nopales. Place limes on top, to be squeezed when served.
- Use small tortillas to serve.